- Verify financing through insurance or loans.
- Make a list of what you want in a home and what style of home: modern, ranch etc.
Choosing Builder and Architect
- Interview at least 3 builders, make sure builder has experience rebuilding for your specific situation.
- Verify the contractor license.
- Check the contractor’s references.
- Talk to owners whose projects are in progress by contractor.
- Is the contractor a design / build contractor?
- Interview Architects and ask about their schedule for producing blueprints.
- Choose Architect & review house specs: style, square footage, beds, baths, budget.
- Locate vendors and start researching the following: flooring, cabinets, tile, countertops, appliances, and plumbing & light fixtures.
- Get blueprints for house: Structural, Electrical, Mechanical and Energy Engineering.
- Expect to pay progress payments for blueprints.
- Review plans and ask questions of architect and/or engineer.
- Review estimate from contractor and verify your finish items (cabinets, flooring, etc.).
- Discuss construction schedule with contractor.
- Submit plans for plan check at building department.
- Building department plan check corrections will be sent to architect.
- Building Permit is issued.
- Pay for building permit, school fees, fire department fees, etc.
- Excavation and Foundation.
- Framing and Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC, etc.
- Windows, Siding, Roofing, Stucco and Drywall.
- Cabinets, Doors, Finish Materials, Painting, Tile, and Countertops.
- Flooring, Appliances, Light Fixtures and Clean Up.
*Verify work is completed before you pay invoices.
*Each Step in the Construction Process above will need City/County Inspector Approval before you can move to the next step.
*Make site visits often and ask questions of contractors.
*After completion of home, do a walk through with contractor. Before final payment to contractor, verify all work is completed.